The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering consists of ten chairs which for teaching purposes are linked in pairs into five blocks:
- Technical Chemistry (Institute of Chemical Reaction Engineering, Institute of Separation Science and Technology)
- Biotechnology (Institute of Bioprocess Engineering, Institute of Medical Biotechnology with a research group on Environmental Process Engineering and Recycling)
- Energy and Plant Technology (Institute of Energy Process Engineering, Institute of Process Technology and Machinery)
- Particle Technology (Institute of Particle Technology, Institute of Multiscale Simulation)
- Thermofluid Dynamics (Institute of Fluid Mechanics, Institute of Engineering Thermodynamics).
Building on their specific know-how, the chairs of the Department of Chemical and Bioengineering are competent and well equipped partners for cooperative research in all areas of chemical and biological process technology.